Tuesday 17 May 2011

Newark Hive

Five days after the inspection that left us having to remove Birgit from the hive it was time to check that the bees had not started to build emergency queen cups from the eggs that Birgit had laid. Well I have to say that this is something my bees are good at- queen cups all over the frames that had been left with egg in them. I very carefully inspected the marked frame and the cell I had left was there safe and sound. I checked there were no more on that frame and put it back. All the other frames got a very careful inspection, most had the bees shaken off. These are still very good natured bees- some brood was hatching so I was as quick and careful as possible- but some of these new bees were obviously a little puzzled by such a turbulent welcome to the world! Nevertheless they settled quickly and hopefully when a new queen hatches they will prosper. Watch this space............

1 comment: