Tuesday 6 August 2013

Beekeeping





On a recent visit to Attingham Park near Shrewsbury we came upon this old way of keeping bees in this bee house- the bees are in Skeps- a traditional woven basket - originally the colony would have been destroyed to collect honey at the end of the season, but here the beekeepers are trying a method using removable combs!


After a slow start to the bee honey bee season here in Notts things don't seem so bad- although I have no bees of my own this year I have been going to the apiary at Woodthorpe Park - things have been more settled than last year and it looks as if there will be a reasonable crop of honey from these urban bees. My injections are going well- no real reactions - so looking good to return to beekeeping in the future.
The bees I passed on are building up well, which is good to hear, this is the photo I took of the yellow queen in that colony before they went to their new home- she is not too clear but you can see the yellow dot that marks her as last year's queen!


No comments:

Post a Comment