Thursday 10 February 2011

Better Weather

It's been a busy time over the past month with visiting family and work done in the house and garden- tidying and getting ready for the spring-my favourite time of year in the garden.
The flowers I most look forward to are snowdrops- I just love the clear green and white shoots as they push up through the earth, gradually droop over and open up against the dark ground. Over the years I have tried to collect different varieties and the glossy or matt blue green leaves are as attractive as the flowers. It was with great interest that I watched Carole Klein in her delightful garden explaining how to propagate snowdrops en masse. The method- called twin scaling -involves cutting bulbs into slices, each containing a piece of the basal plate and placing them into vermiculite until they start to grow tiny bulbils. These can then be grown on to flowering size in a couple of years. When my bulbs have finished flowering this year I hope to give this a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment