Sunday 4 December 2011

Winter Beekeeping


November Bees!!!

What do beekeepers do in the winter?
Plenty of beekeeping jobs- cleaning and storing equipment, checking the bees for stores and keeping an eye on varroa counts. This year the worry is the weather has been so mild the bees are active and using stores too quickly. So making sure we have some fondant ready for feeding has been a priority. Last year I made my own but this year with not so much spare time I have resorted to buying in bulk- just in case!!

This year as well I have had a go at making candles- not my own wax this year but hopefully next year I will have enough to clean up to use.
These candles are made with sheets of what looks like foundation in different colours- very easy to make and just right for beekeepers to give as Christmas presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment