Thursday 19 July 2012

Preserving

Having arrived back from our holidays to find the weather had not improved we were surprised to find loads of strawberries- we picked 8 punnets of lovely ripe fruit!
As there were too many to eat fresh I decided to make some strawberry conserve- I used fresh redcurrant juice from some redcurrants that I had in the freezer to help with setting and the jam set beautifully and I also found a use for some of the many redcurrants that I still have stored!
As well as the strawberries the cherries were starting to ripen on the tree- and the birds were having a feast. We decided to pick as any as we could - again a really good crop. I love the idea of preserving - a row of jars,  tins or bags full of things ready to store to eat later gives me a real sense of satisfaction. (Simple pleasures!!) So, something I have never done before- cherries in brandy- I followed an age old recipe by Mrs Beeton, basically pack the cherries in to jars with layers of sugar and top up with brandy. Very easy but after a couple of weeks the cherries have gone an anaemic colour- the recipe says to leave them a couple of months - I was hoping to use them at Christmas. We will just have to wait and see if the bottle of brandy was worth the expense!!

No comments:

Post a Comment